CWSR was established in 2006 under a scheme by UGC. The Hon’ble Vice-Chancellor of our University Prof. Neelofar Khan has been the founder of this Centre and this Centre flourished under her dynamic leadership. The Centre earlier had been a Research Centre, initially offering Gender Sensitivity programmes, women empowerment campaign, legal awareness, women’s rights awareness programs related to different themes including girl child development, capacity building programmes, seminars, Conferences, Workshops etc. The Centre initially started its teaching programme with “Certificate Course in Women and Law” in the year, 2017 and a paradigm shift took place in the focus and approach of the Centre as it launched its much sought-after Masters Program in Gender Studies. Putting in place for the first time the full faculty in the Centre, the nomenclature of the Centre for women’s research and advocacy oriented Centre, was changed to Centre for Women’s Studies and Research with focus on teaching and research.
Vision and Mission
The Centre is acting as a catalyst for promoting and strengthening women’s studies through teaching, research, curriculum development, field and extension work, training and continuing education, etc. The center has worked in the areas of gender equity, economic and self-reliance, girls education, population education, issues of women rights, laws, social exploitation, awareness activities, capacity building etc.
In pursuance to its vision and mission, the Centre would focus on some thrust areas like:
- I would particularly strive to make the lives of the student community at the Centre productive, purposeful, happy and prosperous.
- Networking with the world of work and academics at the National as well as at the International level.
- Institutional collaboration for research, faculty development and student exchange programmes.
- Creating a student friendly environment.
- Reaching the unreached segments of the society particularly women and girls with Women empowerment schemes and women emancipation schemes of the University and the government.
- Creating a Gender Sensitive eco-system
- It would be my endeavour to make the stay of the faculty and students comfortable and joyful with full focus on academic excellence, research.
I am hopeful that by the Grace of Almighty Allah, we will be able to achieve our set agenda.
Dr. Roshan Ara